February 2012 - The ambitious re-development of the once derelict recreation field on Granborough Road between North Marston and Granborough is almost complete; just the car park to do. The field and its facilities are fully up and running. And the field and Clubhouse is available for hire……..contact anyone on the Sportsfield Team
History of the Sportsfield Redevelopment Project
North Marston Parish Council (NMPC) bought the field back in 1936 to provide its residents with a place for recreational use. The field fell into disrepair about seventeen years ago and had been used primarily to graze sheep together with the odd village event until the re-development project began in earnest late 2006.
A project team, reporting into the Parish Council, has raised £200,000+ through grant funding, donations and a variety of fund raising events: Plant Sales, Race Nights, Boys Nights, Girls Nights, Quiz Night, the boys did the Three Peaks Challenge, the girls a London to Cambridge Bike Ride, a boys and girls bike team did London to Oxford in 2011 and of course GranMarstonBury 2011. A 100 Club was launched in the Summer of 2009 and a monthly draw takes place before North Marston Parish Council’s monthly meeting. Winners are informed every month.
THANK YOU to all those who have supported the redevelopment project and our grant funders…….AVDC, Awards for All, Community Chest, Granborough Parish Council, LEADER, North Marston Parish Council and WREN